- Massive Students Protest Forces JNU Administration to WITHDRAW the Draconian, Anti-Student Proposals of High CGPA for Continuing in Integrated BA/MA in SLL&CS
- On Reduction in Viva Weightage, Viva Committee Categorically Instructed to Prepare Recommendations Within a Month and Resolved Through Another AC Meeting in This Semester Itself
- A Proper Roster for PWD Reservations Will Be Implemented In Admission for Students With Disabilities
- In A Partial Victory For Addressing Drop-Outs, the Students’ Demands for CGPA Requirement For Award of M.Phil. Degree Has Been Reduced From the Existing 5.5 to 5.0 for All Categories of Students
- Proposals for Obscurantist, Un-Academic Certificate-Type Courses by the Sanskrit Centre Rejected
- Several Other Students’ Demands Could Not Be Taken UP AC Meeting Got Adjourned Late Evening
JNUSU congratulates the student community for the massive participation in the demonstration outside the AC meeting, which took place in the backdrop of a prolonged sit-in since 22 September 2016 and three days of SLL&CS Strike and day-long University Strike. Several issues were positively resolved at the AC Meeting due to sustained student protests and strong intervention inside the AC Meeting. The Meeting was adjourned late in the night – but in all the issues discussed till then, the Administration was forced by the Students’ Union to take a categorical stand.
We congratulate the University students, especially the students of SLL&CS for a significant victory: the anti-student proposal to increase the CGPA requirement for promotion was rolled backed in the AC meeting.
In a partial step towards addressing the issue of drop-outs, the CGPA required to get an MPhil degree has been fixed at 5 CGPA for all the students. Earlier the CGPA requirement for the award of M.Phil. Degree was 5.5. Other measures demanded by JNUSU to resolve drop-out rate – (a) to make the additional 4th year in BA flexibly available for improvement and (b) introduction of repeat/improvement provisions in MPhil, (c) CGPA relaxation for promotion to integrated Ph.D. were not resolved despite discussion. JNUSU will take it up for a categorical resolution the next time the AC meets.
On Viva Weightage reduction, the Committee which was formed in the last AC will give its recommendations by the end of this month a time-bound manner. Then the recommendations of the Committee will go to the centres and another AC will be called within this semester itself to resolve the issue of viva weightage reduction.
It was decided in the AC that a correct roster for PWD students will be implemented in admissions .
The proposals by the Sanskrit Centre for certificate courses in the name of Yoga and Indian culture was rejected by the majority in the AC.
Several issues such as that of hostels, minority deprivation points, minority cell, workers issues, and issues of campus democracy, raised in course of our struggle and submitted in detail to the VC and the faculty, could not be discussed yesterday. The adjourned AC meeting will be reconvened very soon – these agendas will be raised there. The JNUSU will inform the student community about the meeting and further course of action.
We appeal all the students, teachers and organizations in the campus to support the JNUSU to make our campus more inclusive, social and gender just, democratic, egalitarian and progressive. Please participate in all the programs of the JNUSU in the coming days.